Blank ‘Distribution Point Usage Summary’ reports for several DPs

The ‘Distribution Point Usage Summary’ report provides a useful overview of Distribution Point usage. It can be found in the monitoring pane, under the reporting folder ‘Software Distribution – Content’. When I first started using this report, I noticed that several distribution points were reporting 0 clients. I knew that these distribution points did have clients connecting to them, so I set out to figure out what was going on.

 

Firstly, I wanted to prove that clients were in fact connecting to the distribution points. This can be achieved by checking C:\Windows\CCM\logs\locationservices.log and C:\Windows\CCM\logs\DataTransferService.log on a workstation that is using the distribution point.  Look for lines like the following:

locationservices.log:

DataTransferService.log:

 

Once I proved the report should have data in it, my next step was to find out more about the ‘Distribution Point Usage Summary’ report. This blog post was very helpful, and from it I learnt that the usage report uses a view in the SCCM database called V_DPUsageSummary. I checked this view directly to confirm what data was being stored in the database, using the following query:

SELECT TOP 100 * FROM V_DPUsageSummary

 

The data in the view was the same as what I was seeing in the report – the distribution point had 0 clients. My next step was to check the logs on the distribution point. C:\SMS_DP$\sms\logs\smsdpmon.log had no errors, and I could see that status messages were being successfully sent to the management point:

 

Likewise, C:\SMS_DP$\sms\logs\smsdpusage.log had no errors, and was successfully sending state messages. From this log, I could also see that the usage information was being gathered from C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\u_ex160714.log.

 

The logical next step was to check the IIS log file. I found that the IIS log folder was empty:

 

This led me to check the IIS role services, where I discovered that HTTP logging was not installed:

After installing the HTTP logging role service, a LogFiles folder appeared:

 

I checked the ‘Distribution Point Usage Summary’ report a few days later, and now I was getting the expected results and the report was no longer blank.

 

There are many other causes of blank usage reports. If the above solution doesn’t match your situation, here are a few other solutions I came across while troubleshooting:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/senthilkumar/2013/09/02/configmgr-2012-sp1-failure-while-sending-content-validation-status-and-state-messages-to-management-point-when-site-has-a-mp-enabled-for-https-communication/

http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/blank-distriuion-point-usage-summary.html

 

 

 

Rate this post:
Share this post:

Leave a Reply